Zebra’s solutions are deployed worldwide. And, while many customers focus on one market, others cover multiple countries. One thing they all have in common is that all are individual, all are complex and all require robust solutions. One such company is DB Schenker Logistics, a global leader in transportation and logistics. With annual revenues of around €15bn, it employs 65,000 people across 2,000 locations worldwide.
In Poland, DB Schenker Logistics has 17 centres. The company was using mobile devices within its courier and express service units but had continued using time-consuming paper-based processes within its groupage business. Groupage consolidates goods from several exporters on a single consignment; while it’s the most efficient way to transport goods, it makes it more complex for drivers to ensure the right items reach the right destinations.
Managing groupage deliveries
To help its drivers, DB Schenker has equipped them with mobile computers to help manage, in real time, all delivery and parcel data including schedules, Proof of Delivery (PoD), route mapping and delivery instructions. The company developed a ‘must-have’ specification list for its new devices, including an efficient scanner, a large display, excellent battery life, and enhanced resistance to bad weather and physical damage. It selected Zebra Technologies’ MC9596-K Mobile Computer – deployed by local integrator IBCS Poland.
The drivers quickly embraced the new computers, which ensure they can:
- Always get a signal: With integrated wireless LAN and wide area connectivity, drivers can always get a signal, even in remote rural areas.
- Capture PoD: They can easily capture signatures on-screen (details of designated signees can even be stored for regular deliveries).
- Optimise trips: With route mapping.
- Report on the go: Drivers can update their schedule as they work while also having the ability to take photos, send messages or speak to their depot.
- Support service improvements: All data captured by the MC9596-Ks is immediately transferred to DB Schenker Logistics’ back office while the integrated GPS tracks vehicle locations. The real-time data is sent to a customer portal where customers can see critical information about their parcels, such as ETAs and PoDs.
The MC9596-K is ready for life on the road: it’s reliable and rugged, with IP67 sealing. Driver productivity has increased by an estimated 5%, while a reduction in paperwork, and the fact that drivers find it easier to organise and make more deliveries each day (with fewer errors), has increased everyone’s job satisfaction.
So there you have it: proof that the MC9596-K can make drivers’ lives easier – in turn boosting productivity and improving customer service.