With online sales projected to top $20 trillion by 2020 , demand for delivery services is rising. Growth comes with challenges – customers are pressing for ever faster delivery, environmental and compliance legislation are changing constantly, automation is set to radically disrupt things and agile competitors are circling. With a greater need to help teams and drivers work more effectively mobile devices, that were initially rolled out to provide proof of delivery (PoD), could be doing much more.
FROM CUTTING FUEL COSTS TO ENHANCING CUSTOMER SERVICEWhile mobile devices can improve operations throughout the delivery chain there are seven areas that we believe are particularly valuable:
- Optimising every route: Zebra’s mobile devices help drivers quickly find the least congested and best route. Reynolds, a major supplier to the UK food industry, has recently started using Zebra’s TC55 touch mobile computers. It estimates that route efficiency improvements alone with increase by 5% – a significant fuel saving across a fleet of 200 vehicles.
- Enhancing customer service: With powerful GPS technology Zebra’s devices deliver a stream of location-based data – even in the most challenging areas. With a continuous view of your fleet, every item’s location, and your drivers’ hours you can keep customers updated and assign new pick-ups to the best-placed vehicle.
- Extending the life of your fleet: With enterprise-grade wireless connectivity and powerful chips, Zebra’s mobile computers allow you to remotely monitor diagnostics. The data can be used to automatically schedule standard maintenance that will prolong the life of the fleet and reduce the time that vehicles are off the road.
- Making every driver a safe driver: Mobile computers can also be used to monitor driver behaviour. And with the US Department of Energy advising that aggressive driving, such as hard barking and rapid acceleration, can increase fuel consumption by 33%, using telematics to encourage smoother driving can result save money and reduce carbon emissions.
- Reducing exceptions: Exceptions are a fact of life. Mobile computers can help overcome them with drivers able to take pictures of a delivery at a customer’s site complete with a time and location stamp. The result is indisputable proof of condition, preventing false claims and limiting any liability to the damage incurred.
- Tracking of demurrage fees: Where customers delay drivers, you can more easily track and charge for demurrage fees with GPS stamps and arrival and departure times automatically recorded and transmitted in real-time by mobile devices. Data captured over time will reveal any ‘problem’ customers, allowing you to offer added value by proactively recommending plans to eliminate delays.
- Eliminating paper: From delivery manifests, to daily safety checks, to a Bill of Landing (BoL) to proof of delivery, every workflow can be made paperless with Zebra’s mobile computers. Even compliance and audit requirements can be streamlined and with electronic forms. The result? Information flows around your business the second it’s created. What’s more, the reduction in paperwork improves efficiency – so the same number of drivers can deliver more loads.