Mobile Healthcare Trends: Use of the iPad®
Previously, we took a broad look at the mobile healthcare trend, followed by telemedicine’s role in mobile healthcare. The use of the Apple® iPad® mobile device in healthcare is clearly helping to fuel the mobile healthcare trend, with 22 percent adoption among medical providers, Healthcare IT News reported. And 48 percent of the publication’s readers who responded to its survey said the iPad is ready for healthcare.
The iPad is used both by healthcare providers and their patients. Some of the reasons healthcare providers like to use the iPad, as summarized by SearchHealthIT.com, include:
- The iPad is roughly the same size as patient charts.
- It has a large screen that can be used to share information with patients.
- The price makes it affordable for physicians.
- It can run all the medical apps available on the iPhone®.
- It can be used to enter data into EHR and computerized physician order entry.
Learn more about how physicians use iPad® mobile devices in our earlier articles, Apple® iPad® Making EMR Easier for Doctors and In Healthcare, iPad® More Than a Fad.
Patients use iPad mobile devices or other tablets, too. Here are some examples:
- Senior citizens can use iPad devices or other tablets loaded with special applications to not only easily connect with caregivers as a way to encourage medical compliance, but to combat social isolation by allowing them to easily communicate with friends and relatives via the intuitive touch-screen interface. Read more here and here.
- Patients can use an iPad provided in the waiting room to register, filling out a questionnaire about their symptoms. Read more.
- Patients can use their iPad or mobile phone to access their healthcare system’s patient portal to see their test results and medical records, just as they can via their computer. More.
- Patients are demanding to use iPad devices in their hospital beds to entertain themselves with movies and games. More.
Did you know that you can print from the Apple iPad as well as the iPhone® and various other brand smartphones to Zebra® mobile, stationary and kiosk thermal printers? Discover more.