Mobile Meets Kiosk: Apple iPad Embedded in Kiosks a New Trend
Earlier, we explored how retailers can benefit by putting tablet devices like the Apple® iPad™ in sales associate’s hands. But there’s yet another trend emerging: putting iPad devices in self-service kiosks.
Tablets are low-cost, offer tons of capabilities and include familiar, intuitive touch screens. Selfserviceworld.com points to experts like “Summit Research Associates president Francie Mendelsohn,” who says “the best kiosk developers will find ways to leverage what people already have in their pockets.” Read more.
In fact, there are already several real-life examples of iPad-based kiosk applications in operation.
- At JFK and LaGuardia airports in New York, travelers can use iPad kiosks to order food from airport restaurants for delivery at their gate, check flight information, and play games. Read the KioskMarketplace.com article.
- City Sports, a store in Washington, D.C., uses an iPad kiosk as a cost-effective way to enhance the customer experience by giving shoppers easy access to the retailer’s Web site, product and informational videos, and local updates such as news about running clubs and events. See the full RIS News article.
- Personalized gift retailer Things Remembered uses an iPad kiosk to allow customers to view many possible engraving messages to inspire their own, and then to order their personalized gift via the touch screen—increasing ordering speed and accuracy over the store’s original paper-based system. View the RIS News article.
- Malaysian Kuala Lumpur Airline is testing an iPad ticketing and check-in kiosk. And Disney’s first redesigned store opened with an iPad-mounted display that allowed children to browse products organized according to Disney characters. Read the full article by kiosk manufacturer Frank Mayer and Associates, featured in Retail Solutions Online.
This same “iPad Kiosks—Consider the Possibilities” article offers some other potential ways to use consumer-activated iPad kiosks, including:
- View product demo videos, advertising videos, etc.
- Link to accessories or complimentary items from other departments
- View inventory availability
- Access reviews
- Book and manage travel
What about printing from an iPad-based kiosk? Coupons, gift registry lists, receipts, recipes, nutrition information … Not only does Zebra provide kiosk printers built for the rigors of kiosk environments—but did you know we offer the capability to print from Apple iPad mobile devices to any Zebra printer—including the KR403™ kiosk printer?
Learn more about kiosk printers and printing here.
Learn about the iPad print SDK that allows software developers to create print applications for printing to Zebra printers.